Saturday, April 13, 2013

The 2013 AAPA Meetings

Hear in Knoxville for the 2013 AAPA meetings, where I presented a poster on a micro-isonymy study of the effects of immigration on population structure.  I'm always pleased when my presentations generate interest, especially since isonymy is such an arcane topic these days.  Across from my poster, in the paleoanthropology session, I noticed a presentation which proposed that the so-called "Hobbit" (Homo floresiensis) was in fact a child with Downs Syndrome.  This was emphasized when someone put up a hand lettered sign reading "the Hobbit goes down" at the top of the poster.  I will try to find a link to this work shortly. 

Also got to meet and chat with Jon Marks a bit.  We discussed race in anthropology, as well as the value of using material from somewhat dubious sources in class for students to learn about critical thinking.  I'm also happy to say I exercised an admirable degree of restraint at the book tables this years, though I did get gifts for the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment